facilities at the Phillips

The University of Maryland Center for Art and Knowledge at The Phillips Collection is located in the Phillips family’s former Carriage House on Hillyer Court, behind the main museum building. The Center serves as an interdisciplinary forum for scholarly discussion, research, and publication on issues of modern and contemporary art, music, museum studies, conservation science, cultural diplomacy, and societal wellness. Scholars, including curators, faculty, and students of art and art history and related humanities and science disciplines, and leading contemporary artists animate the study and discussion of art.

The Phillips Collection, America’s first museum of Modern art, is one of the world’s most distinguished collections of Impressionist and Modern American and European art. Stressing the continuity between art of the past and present, it offers a strikingly original and experimental approach to Modern art by combining works of different nationalities and periods in displays that change frequently. The setting is similarly unconventional, featuring small rooms, a domestic scale, and a personal atmosphere. Artists represented in the collection include Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh, Edgar Degas, Henri Matisse, Pierre Bonnard, Paul Cézanne, Pablo Picasso, Paul Klee, Claude Monet, Honoré Daumier, Georgia O’Keeffe, Arthur Dove, Mark Rothko, Milton Avery, Jacob Lawrence, and Richard Diebenkorn, among others. The permanent collection has grown to include more than 1,000 photographs as well as works by contemporary artists such as Wolfgang Laib, Whitfield Lovell, and Leo Villareal. Founded by Duncan Phillips and opened to the public in 1921, the museum comprises Phillips’s 1897 Georgian Revival home and two additions that retain the intimacy of a private residence.

At the Phillips